Thursday 4 July 2013

BCTGA10A1 Theoretical Foundations of Art and Design

BCTGA10A1

Theoretical Foundations of Art and Design




BCT GA1A01: Submission Two: First Painting

This painting took 3 hours to complete. I chose this image because it was composed according to the rule of thirds. During the process of this painting I focused getting the skin tone right and blending the colours. The painting didn't turn out as planned and there are a lot of changes that I would have made now looking at the end product. I chose to paint this image because I wanted to see how well I was able to use colour and contrast effectively.  The skin tone works on the brighter side of the face where the light hits but the tonal value on the darker side doesn't  It’s too streaky the brush strokes and the colour of the darker tones are either too dark or not the right colour. Also the background was rushed in order to finish the paint which left brush streaks. I haven’t had much practice with Acrylic’s but used this medium to show that I could use it to some understanding.





BCT GA1A01: Submission Two: Second Painting

This next Painting took four to five hours and is a painting of one of Norman Rockwell paintings “mine America’s Coal”. I chose to paint this image in grey scale so that I could show my understanding of tonal value and contrast. I used Acrylic’s because I thought that this medium would be better to show tonal value and contrast of the original painting. With Acrylic you can layer on paint so I could use this technique to easily attain the right tonal values buy layering darker tones or lighter tones.  After finishing the painting I saw a few things I could have done better like the positioning of the head isn't on an angle like in the original painting which is a composition error. The spacing of the clothing has been altered which was due to trying to fit more of the image into the painting. Some tonal values don’t make sense judging from the light source. 




BCT GA1A01: Submission Two: Third Painting

This painting took one to two hours and is the only painting I have done of still life. I chose to paint this because it showed the element of perspective. I wanted to show understanding of space and the composition of light so I thought this image showed these elements very well. I used Acrylic’s for the same reasons as the previous image. I was able to layer on colours which made it easy when it came to painting the hard light on the red brush handle. 
My criticism would be the technique I used for the hard light; I could have approached that with a different brush which would have made the highlights looks softer. Also with the Bristles of the brush I could have used a smaller paint brush which would have been more effective in showing the individual strands and shape of that section of the image.



BCT GA1A01: Submission Two: Fourth Painting

This is the first out of the three digital painting I have done. This painting took two to three hours and was chosen because it was also composed according to the rule of thirds, also it show a nice range of colours. I struggled to express the texture of the fur so I experimented with many different brushes to find the right brush that would give me what I was looking for. In the end I could find that particular brush so I used the Calligraphy brush which I thought sufficed.

My Criticism would have to be the composition of the painting isn't the same to the image, the head isn't on an angle which is due to the fact that I didn't get the angles right. Also I could have made another brush for the snowflakes so that they would look softer and stand out more.



BCT GA1A01: Submission Two: Fifth Painting

This image of an apple was the first digital paintings I painted. The colour and tonal values of the image really stood out to me, especially the lighting of the stop of the apple stood out a lot. This painting took me an hour to paint but I thought it turned out fine. One thing I did struggle with was trying to paint the texture of the apple. It was hard to find a specific brush that would give the effect so again I had to limit myself to the calligraphy brush which in the end came out quite well.
My criticisms would be the shape of the apple more oval and a bit elongated compared to the original image. I did have trouble trying to compose a circular object and in some parts of the painting the strokes of the brush become smudged and blurry which also be changed by using a different brush.



BCT GA1A01: Submission Two: Sixth Painting

I chose this Image because I liked the texture of the handle, also I liked the metal blade which was frustrating to paint due to the fact it was metal and trying to make it look metal was quiet hard. This painting took four hours this was because it was very difficult to paint the texture of the wood like the detail of the grains in the wood and all the different tones and patterns in the wood.
My criticisms would have to be that due to the continuous layering the image came out too soft which can be easily seen on the handle. Some of the tones don’t make sense, in comparison to the light source especially on the blade.  The composition of the painting could have been better right now it looks like its floating in space, this could have been prevented by understanding the shadow and how it was casted.

No comments:

Post a Comment