Wednesday 19 March 2014

BCT - GA2A01 ( Advanced 3D Modeling)

Environment Asset GLM

This was the very first assignment we got the first week back. We had to get together and form groups and from those group we were given three themes. Sci Fi, Western Steam Punk and World War 2. From these themes we were told that we had to build a modular level. But each individual with in the group had to make a piece. This proved to be difficult due to the fact that as a group we would have to communicate with the group at all times so that if changes were made say like the texture or colour that everyone knew and could change their piece too.

So this was my low poly mesh which was made in Maya. I chose to make the corner piece for the modular level.



I then went and exported the object and imported it into Z brush. Out of all the groups we chose the hardest theme because we had decided on WWII so our first idea was trenches so there was going to be a lot of organic elements to the models. So using the low poly I went into Z brush and created a high poly object.


After this I went back into Maya and baked the high poly onto the low poly. I also created wooden steps using this same method. This was the outcome of the wooden steps that I would later on combine with the main corner piece.





The team gathered a set of textures that we all stuck by including textures for the wooden pieces we all used within our set pieces. So here is the render from Maya with the Normal maps, Occlusion, Diffuse and Specular Maps.

 (Diffuse Map)

 (Normal Map)

 (Occlusion Map)

(Specular Map)

Rendered Final Piece
(Maya)




I noticed that because my Spec Maps were quite high it made my model seem wet or even muddy which wasn't what I was going for. I think this was due to the type of material asset I had used on the model. Later on in the lecture we got introduced to a new program called Ddo and Ndo. Here is a Screenshot from Ddo.

This turned out amazingly, it was my first time using this program and I was quite impressed with it especially Ndo, very helpful with normal mapping. During this assignment I feel like I gathered more of a understanding about Normal mapping then ever before. I look forward to more modelling assignments in the future.  

No comments:

Post a Comment