Sunday 10 November 2013

GA1A01 Submission Four-Final Submission

The piece of work I have chosen to submit is a completely different medium than what I have done in the past. I thought a lot about what I was going to submit whether it was a drawing or a painting, in the end I thought a sculpture would be better to show my understanding of shape, form and anatomy. This Sculpture was done during a week-long lesson with Craig Campbell an amazing sculptor from Weta.

The lessons and information through life drawing has strengthened my understanding of anatomy throughout the year. In the piece you can see a clear understanding of structure in the face. The most challenging part of the process was the eyes, because they are so small it was hard to mold and form the dimensions of the eye. Also the eyes are what give a sculpture emotion and feeling; which put a lot of pressure on me to get the eyes perfect. Originally I wanted to make a human skull but the end product was something entirely different.  In the end I wanted to make something different so I decided to sculpt an Orc. I used a few reference images as a base for my sculpture and then drifted off into my own thing.  






Throughout the process of this year I have learnt more fundamentals of Traditional Art. This process has helped me understand more about composition, spacing, lighting, value, form etc. Now through going through this process of critiquing my own work I have developed a sense of artist analysis of my work. I now notice things that do and don’t work a lot more and it is quite shocking to how much I can point out within my own work. This process was a huge learning curb for me and something that I’ll continue to do in future art work.




No comments:

Post a Comment