Thursday 25 April 2013

Theoretical Foundations of Art and Design


BCT13021B
GA1A01
Theoretical Foundations of Art and Design

LANDSCAPES x2

Image 1.




I drew this first landscape because I am very intrigued by Zen gardens. There is always some mystical feel when you see a picture of them, especially one with a koi fish pond. So I looked at a bit of references then started from there. I think what worked most in this particular drawing were atmosphere and Perspective. If you look at the image even though it’s hand drawn you still understand what it is and you still get that mysterious vibe from it. The perspective worked well everything makes sense, like nothing is there “just because” everything has been drawn for a reason. I feel maybe the shading could have been done better like things could cast more shadows to add to the mysterious effect and given the image more depth.


Image 2.


The next landscape I wanted to be futuristic and more of a scenic view so that I could show a significant difference between the two landscape drawings. As for this drawing I feel that the shading was done very well and the use of hard lines to show depth was used accordingly. What I feel could have been done was probably the spacing. In some part it does seem a bit clustered not so much that you can work it out but some part you do have to stop and look for a moment to grasp and understand what that particular point in the drawing is.

PORTRAITS x2

Image 3.




Michael Jackson! I chose to draw a portrait Michael Jackson because he was my favorite artist and he had done a lot for third world countries, he was proclaimed the best Entertainer of all time and Humanitarian. So I chose this particular image because its shows a lot of emotion, passion etc. I used line making techniques for the shading which I though turn out well I also used basic shapes to help map out the face and hands which did pay off in the end. I do feel that the lighting could have been worked on a bit more like with the hair it looks like there  is too many light sources and same with some light that is on the face but I will develop that understand and knowledge  of light sources and how light hits certain areas over time.

Image 4.



This next portrait I wanted to show another emotion so I chose sadness. I chose this particular drawing because I think it portrays sadness and sorrow very well. Like the other portrait I think that the line technique was utilized very well and also I tried to focus a bit more on the light source and how the shadow were cast along the face and neck areas. However I do think I could have improved on the fine details in the drawings like wrinkles and creases formed on the face. Also could have put a bit more detail on the mouth to make it seem more realistic.




STILL LIFE x2

Image 5.



I decided to draw two porcelain cups because when I was placing different things around to draw the cups were the only objects had reflection in them .Also since they were white when the sun hit them they gave off an extreme light effect which then I wanted to see if I could transfer onto paper. The extreme light effect I was hoping to achieve did work, I feel that I achieved that effect in this image by having no visible lines where the extreme light hit the object thus showing depth in the image. Things I could have done better would be the line making technique, I mean cross hatching and line making can work very well in most art works but I think I didn't work because its mainly to show textured surfaces whether it be to show rough, jagged or coarse surfaces. But because a cup has a smooth surface the line making technique didn't work as well as expected. 

Image 6.

In this next drawing I decided to draw a glass to see if I could draw some thing as difficult as a see through object. I always try to challenge myself and try not to stick to easy going things. In this instance I was quite difficult to shade in the object. There was part of the glass that did have some dark shades and some that didn't that surprised me, thinking that because the object it see thorough that the light would travel through the object therefore having  no dark tones. Try to show draw this was quite difficult but I think I did a good job. I could have shown more depth in the drawing by erasing some of the heavy line where the light hit the object, knowing that in reality things don’t have outlines.



No comments:

Post a Comment